Splash the Cash – Part 3 of the 2019 Christmas Gift Guide! While I put this together for those with chronic illness/chronic pain in mind, they’re equally suited to those without chronic conditions. Some products I own and use myself so I personally recommend them, others I’ve not tried. It’s a guide for gifting to others and self-gifting in the name of self-care and small joys.
Home Helpers & Gadgets
Home helpers and gadgets can be great for anyone, but some things can really make day to day life that bit easier with chronic illness. I bought my household a cordless Shark vac the other year and it’s been the best investment, absolutely thrilled with it. It’s a pricier purchase but one I couldn’t be happier with, so I’ve included these vacs here.
- Amazon Echo Smart Speaker, Voice Controlled Smart System with Alexa – Amazon UK / Amazon US
- Shark Cordless Stick Vacuum, Anti-Allergy – Amazon UK
- Dyson V7 Cordless Vacuum – Amazon UK / Amazon US
- Robo Vacuum – Amazon UK / Amazon US
- Levoit Air Purifier (previously reviewed & recommended) – Amazon UK / Amazon US
I’ve recently been lucky enough to try a 15% CBD oil from Brown’s, gifted so I could share it in a review on here. I wanted to include in my gift guide as it’s something a lot of people are interested in, and many with chronic illness find CBD to be very beneficial. They offer free delivery to the UK and Europe on all orders. You can check out Brown’s CBD here – use the code CAZ10 at the checkout for 10% off!
For the Black Friday weekend, you can also use the discount code BLACKFRIDAY for 30% off. Limited time only until midnight 2nd December!
DNA Health / Ancestry Kits
Interested in learning more about your ancestry, ethnicity and heritage, or your health and potential predispositions based on your DNA? These test kits allow you to do just that and it’s convenient as it can be done from home and the results viewed online.
- AncestryDNA : Genetic Testing Ethnicity – Amazon UK / Amazon US
- 23andme : Ancestry & Traits – Amazon UK / Amazon US
- 23andme : Ancestry & Health (incl Health Predispositions, Carrier Status, Wellness, Trait Reports) – Amazon UK / Amazon US
Gift An Experience
My father and I bought a joint present for my mother the year before last – a circulation booster! Quite an unusual gift but one I thought could be helpful for tired & uncomfortable leg muscles and restless leg syndrome.
It’s described as being particularly useful for those with “poor circulation, diabetes and osteoarthrits, high blood pressure or high cholesterol… reduces swollen, puffy feet and ankles…helps you to walk further before aches and pains…Improves symptoms associated with varicose veins”.
These things are quite pricey but it has been an excellent investment as it’s reliable, safe, clinically proven, effective and easy to use. It’s been used about 5 times a week since we bought it so it gets plenty of use – far more use than most Christmas presents ever get!
There are two newer versions. I’ll include links for both as I’m not too sure there’d be much difference in efficiency, so I’d suggest just seeing which is the best price at the time. If you have a long term medical condition / chronic illness (ie. rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes etc) you can also claim VAT back, which will save you some money (I was successfully able to do this for her, so if you decide to try one of these and need any help with the VAT claim let me know).
- Revitive Medic Circulation Booster – Amazon UK / Amazon US
- Revitive IX Circulation Booster – Amazon UK / Amazon US
- All other alternative brands at Amazon UK & Amazon US
Tablets & E-Readers
I have an iPad and find it incredibly versatile. I used to have a Mini, now I have the regular 10.2″ iPad, which works with Apple Pencil (which I
can’t afford don’t have). Emails, Internet browsing, games, Netflix, iPlayer, sketching, colouring in, notes, music, books and magazines… you can pretty much do it all.
- Kindle 10th gen (new 2019) – Amazon UK / Amazon US
- Kindle Paperwhite – Amazon UK / Amazon US
- Kindle Fire HD 8 (latest) – Amazon UK / Amazon US or save money with the cheaper previous model, the 7th Gen on Amazon UK.
- Samsung Tab – all on Amazon UK / Amazon US
- iPad – all on Amazon UK / Amazon US
These typically come in different sizes & weights, and while most look fairly similar, a couple have different textures. You can find all weighted blankets on Amazon here or check out below a few I’ve discovered with good reviews & reasonable prices.
- Pine & River Plush Warm Weighted Blanket – Amazon UK / Amazon US
- Coolmax Weighted Blanket with 2 covers for hot & cold sleepers – Amazon UK / Amazon US
- YnM Weighted Blanket – Amazon UK / Amazon US
- Quility Weighted Blanket – Amazon US
- Jaymag Weighted Blanket – Amazon UK
Fitness trackers, along with smart watches, are incredibly popular but it can be tricky figuring out which is the best to invest your money in. It’s been suggested to me to try one so having shopped around I’d probably want to look at the Fitbit Inspire HR (better budget-wise, thinner band for my small wrist, sleep/activity functions that I’d want to use). Consider what functions you/the recipient would need and what style may be most comfortable. Here are four top picks that seem effective and get good reviews.
- Fitbit Inspire HR – Amazon UK / Amazon US
- Apple Watch Series 3 – Amazon UK / Amazon US
- Garmin Forerunner 35 – Amazon UK / Amazon US
- Fitbit Versa 2 – Amazon UK / Amazon US
Too pricey? Check out the earlier Gift Guides :
Not got Amazon Prime? I always sign up for a month at Christmas to get free next day delivery, access to Prime-only deals and to check out the latest Prime video series on offer. It gets more use this time of year for me so it’s a worthwhile investment. Find out more & see if you’re eligible for an Amazon Prime free trial in the US or Amazon Prime in the UK here.
I’d love to know if you use any of these, or if there are any suggestions here you’d like to try for yourself or buy for someone else this Christmas. Do you have any ideas to add to the list?