Quick Quote : Letting Go To Move Forward

"Getting over a painful experience is much like crossing monkey bars. You have to let go at some point in order to move forward" Quote by C.S. Lewis.

We’ve all experienced difficult times and painful events. Moving forwards and healing means processing what’s happened and learning to be at peace with it, whether that means learning from it, forgiving someone who’s harmed us, forgiving ourselves, or simply coming to terms with how it’s made us feel. Maybe we’re holding on to past hurts, insults, failures, regrets of things done or not done, petty annoyances, diagnoses, loss, tragedy. It could be a myriad of things that we find ourselves getting snagged on from time to time.

Sometimes we need to take a breath. See what it is that we’re caught on, that keeps us locked where we are, or that keeps hurting us. What will it take to deal with those experiences? Process it, learn from it, forgive, heal.

It takes courage to let go, but sometimes that’s the healthiest thing you can to do heal yourself and move forward. It doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll never feel the pain of those events again or that you’ve forgotten; it’s not about denying it. It’s about acknowledging and accepting, choosing to rise above it and move forward. Small steps, but as you do so, you’ll grow more confident swinging from those monkey bars and lighter from the past no longer weighing so heavily on your shoulders.

Caz  â™¥

1. Svet
    May 9, 2019 / 3:49 pm

Very deep and wide!

2. Svet
    May 9, 2019 / 3:51 pm

I mean very wise, the phone changed the word in me. Aha, the progress in technology.

3. May 9, 2019 / 5:29 pm

All true. It takes so much courage. I don’t think we can ever properly heal. We just learn to live broken.

4. May 9, 2019 / 6:08 pm

Great advice. Letting go is one of the hardest lessons we have to learn in life. As you wisely said, why continue reliving the pain.
    It is better to release this source of pain and move on.

• May 11, 2019 / 3:16 pm

I’m glad you agree – it really can be incredibly difficult, but so very worth it to move forward and to give ourselves some sense of peace 🙂

5. May 9, 2019 / 6:35 pm

Letting go is sometimes so hard, but it helps with healing. Great advice, Caz!

• May 12, 2019 / 4:25 pm

I think it does help with healing, absolutely. Thanks for the comment, Viola – I hope you’re keeping as well as possible  ♥

6. May 9, 2019 / 6:55 pm

I believe in small steps. They make an overwhelming process manageable.

• May 12, 2019 / 4:23 pm

Small steps definitely make things more manageable. I think that’s advice that can be applied to lots of situations, too 🙂

7. May 9, 2019 / 8:43 pm

Yes, this is so insightful yet it’s not easy to do. It’s important to take these steps. I love C. S. Lewis’ quote.

• May 12, 2019 / 4:26 pm

C.S.Lewis definitely had lots of wisdom to share. Thanks for the comment, Miriam – I hope you’re having a lovely weekend =]

8. May 9, 2019 / 9:08 pm

Great advice! It’s always about one step at a time!❤️

• May 12, 2019 / 4:27 pm

Definitely, small steps to keep things manageable and less overwhelming. Hope you’re well, Richa 🙂

9. May 9, 2019 / 9:09 pm

Yes letting go can be hard, but often it’s essential for your mental health. Great advice.

Have a fabulous day. ♥

• May 12, 2019 / 4:27 pm

I agree, our mental health would thank us for it. Thanks for the comment lovely, I hope you’re having a good weekend! 🙂

10. MamaDuck
    May 10, 2019 / 1:05 am

You are so right that it takes courage to let go. The entire post is important…well said!

• May 12, 2019 / 4:28 pm

I’m glad you liked the post, thank you lovely!  ♥

11. May 10, 2019 / 3:12 am

I think we can bounce back from most traumas. Maybe we will never get the outcome to our liking but why hang on to it? I like to solve the issue, then move on. Not always possible! Courage. Indeed, Caz, so much courage is neede! Great post.💜

• May 12, 2019 / 4:34 pm

I think it’s often a case of dealing with it to the best of our ability when the outcome is painful or not to our liking, and try our best to move forwards, whatever it takes to get to that point of putting it in our rearview mirror rather than having it hanging over us or weighing us down. We all have that courage in us, it may just be a quiet roar we didn’t think realise was there ♥

12. May 10, 2019 / 5:22 am

This is SO true and things become so much easier when we accept, forgive and let go. ❤️

• May 12, 2019 / 4:36 pm

I think so too, even though it’s not easy, accepting & forgiving & letting go can release the burden we otherwise end up carrying constantly. Thank you for the comment especially as you’re in hospital right now… I won’t nag you but you should be resting 😉 sending lots of love your way  ♥ ♥ ♥

13. May 10, 2019 / 6:27 am

Very wise grasshopper.
    Sage words indeed.
    ….seriously.
    and, the question you asked me the other day, edibles work better, but take longer to kick in. It took me a long time to write my post today…oh, I hope it’s okay..and I probably shouldn’t be commenting, however my migraine is ever so much better. 🥴💕

• May 12, 2019 / 5:15 pm

I’m glad you liked the post & thank you for the comment! I think you’re doing incredibly well keeping up with your own posts let alone comments on other blogs  ♥ ♥

14. May 10, 2019 / 9:30 am

So true. Also learning to deal with those learned behaviours that we started doing after such events. Sometimes it’s a complete mindset shift and a bit uncomfortable. But it’s worth it in the end.
    Thanks for the reminder XX

• May 13, 2019 / 10:29 am

Absolutely, nicely summed up! Thanks Kirsty 🙂

15. May 10, 2019 / 11:03 am

Caz your writing goes from strength to strength! Beautifully put! We all need this reminder. Le grà, Marie xx

• May 13, 2019 / 10:29 am

Aww, that’s incredibly kind of you – I’m glad you liked the post & thank you, Marie  ♥

16. May 10, 2019 / 1:34 pm

This. Thank you. I needed to hear this.

• May 13, 2019 / 10:30 am

Glad you liked it, I think it’s good to have little reminders sometimes. I hope this week ahead is kind to you 🙂

17. May 10, 2019 / 2:57 pm

So true, Caz. Looking a pain directly in the eyes; no denial, but seeing it in all its dastardliness takes courage. However, the result, as you’ve so eloquently said, can be incredibly satisfying. No longer do we remain under its control, so to speak. We free ourselves, little by little, step by small step.
    Here’s hoping your weekend is also very satisfying… 🙂
    xoxoxo

• May 13, 2019 / 10:32 am

That’s the first time I’ve seen the world “dastardliness” used this year, nicely done! You’re right, it can be hard but the result can be freeing & satisfying, we just need to break the overwhelming process down into more manageable steps. Thank you for your wonderful comment. I hope the week ahead is a good one for you 🌷

18. May 10, 2019 / 4:00 pm

I so agree with that… “Process it, learn from it, forgive, heal … Let go. Here in the UK, I’m hearing a lot lately on the news about old wrongs revisited in new enquiries and court cases that fail to give victims’ families’ “closure”.
    I always understood “closure” to mean an emotional farewell: acceptance that the past has happened and can’t be changed. As with a funeral.
    When did closure become a synonym for revenge?

• May 13, 2019 / 3:42 pm

A very good point, Cathy. I think the two should be differentiated far more clearly because they’re very different. I think closure is for the person harmed or upset etc, an internal thing that happens within. Revenge is an act on the other person, something that affects them. I think some people want revenge as a form of justice thinking they’ll feel better for it, though I doubt that happens in many cases. Thank you for your interesting comment 🙂

19. May 10, 2019 / 5:21 pm

I agree. It takes a lot of courage to move on but it is important.

• May 13, 2019 / 3:43 pm

It is important, but I think we all have that courage to be able to do it. Thanks, Roy! I hope you have a good week ahead 🙂

20. May 11, 2019 / 12:27 am

It’s true and that is the only way to heal .So rightly said Caz!

• May 11, 2019 / 3:04 pm

Thanks, Nisha, glad you agree! 🙂

21. May 11, 2019 / 12:03 pm

Smart and wise and everything inbetween.

Very well written piece.

• May 11, 2019 / 2:49 pm

Aw thank you very much, I’m glad you liked it! 🙂

22. May 11, 2019 / 1:42 pm

You’re so right Caz, it is hard to let go of negative things that upset us and move on but we only become stronger by letting ourselves go through the healing process. Thanks for posting this, I think we all need a little reminder now and then ❤️

• May 11, 2019 / 2:49 pm

You’re right, I do think we’re stronger when we move through the process. Thanks for the comment, Rachael! Hope you’re having a lovely weekend 🌷

23. May 11, 2019 / 11:49 pm

this is so true & must be continually re-learned, so tx for the great re-learning here <3

• May 13, 2019 / 3:44 pm

You’re right, I think it probably does need continual re-learning and reminders can help. Thanks lovely, glad you liked it! 🙂

24. May 12, 2019 / 11:39 am

Very true 🌹

• May 13, 2019 / 3:44 pm

It’s not easy, but I think it’s important. Glad you agree 🙂

25. May 12, 2019 / 9:01 pm

Charlee: “We have never used monkey bars, but if we did, we would be jumping from one to the other, I bet!”
    Lulu: “Well, I wouldn’t. I would probably fall off.”
    Chaplin: “That’s because you’re a dog and not a cat.”

• May 13, 2019 / 3:45 pm

Chaplin – Stop discriminating, dogs can use monkey bars too! 😉

26. May 13, 2019 / 1:32 am

Great post, wise words. The hardest thing for me was to let go of things that no longer were good for me and that included relationships, thoughts that kept me small, and in the negative all the time. And the thing though that I found is that once I got the courage and let go, my life changed for the better every time. And I’m still letting go…thank you

• May 13, 2019 / 3:46 pm

It’s strange, isn’t it, how often the things that aren’t good for us are the hardest to let go of. I’m so glad you were able to start the process & feel better for it every time you let go of what holds you back or weighs you down. Thank you for sharing, Masha 🌷

27. May 16, 2019 / 9:25 am

This is very true, although sometimes it’s way easier said than done. Especially when the letting go bit means closing the door on people you never thought you would have to close it on. Food for thought though, thank you!

• May 17, 2019 / 2:59 pm

You’re right, it can be incredibly difficult. Sometimes I think we can just try to ‘shelve’ things a little better, if we’re not ready or willing to close the door fully, just to be able to not let it hurt us or hold us back the way it/they have been. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! 🙂

28. May 18, 2019 / 4:57 pm

Letting go takes courage and a willingness to embrace the new.

• May 19, 2019 / 2:16 pm

Absolutely, it really does. But I think it’s worth taking that leap and working towards it. Thanks for the comment 🙂

29. May 20, 2019 / 7:09 pm

It’s true, dwelling on or ruminating on past experiences and hurts keeps them present in your mind which means they continue to hurt you. Letting go and moving on is liberating and gives you the freedom to pursue a happier life.

• May 23, 2019 / 3:06 pm

You’re right, they can continue to hurt but letting go can definitely be liberating, leaving you more open to enjoying life as best you can without the weight those experiences weighing on you. Thanks for the great comment  ♥

• May 23, 2019 / 2:56 pm