Chronic Pain? There’s An A-Z For That!

An image of Alice's book cover faded out to provide a background, with the post title overlaid.

Today I’d like to do a shout-out for a fellow blogging friend, Alice at Notebooks and Glasses. This incredible lady has just written & released an amazing book that deserves a mention. She kindly gifted me the e-book so I could read, review & share it here!

What’s It All About?

This is a book written for those with chronic pain of any type and severity. It’s for those that are struggling, those that are managing well, and those in between that could do with a little encouragement every now and then. It’s for those newly experiencing pain and those far into their journey with it. It speaks to all of us.

It’s 30 pages of ideas, inspiration, hope, encouragement and support.

In describing the book, Alice writes: “Living with chronic pain is tough – I know first hand! But when you understand what you can do to help yourself, then things start to get better. We only get one chance at life and we need to un-press that pause button that we all automatically resort when we are diagnosed with chronic pain.”

Alice takes us through a whistle-stop tour of each letter, from A-Z. The book does what it says on the cover! On each letter, she brings up something in relation to chronic pain, such as acceptance, employment, distraction. By doing this, she’s pinpointing issues many of us will have faced, thought about or been affected by. In various sections, tips and suggestions are provided, such as ways to work on daily gratitude. In others, encouragement may be given or questions may be asked to help you reflect on that topic.

My Thoughts

What I really like about this book is how user-friendly it is. If you have issues with concentration and focus, like I do these days, then you’ll be pleased to know this is one of those books you can easily pick up any time and flick through, that’s not going to bog you down with technical terminology or be super word-heavy. Each page is written in a large, clear font and is well-spaced out. Images are used to further break the writing up and to give it a fun, fresh feel. It’s light reading and there are also links here and there to further relevant information that Alice has written about on her blog.

Because it’s written from the basis of her own experience, you’re getting insights and suggestions that are relevant. It’s a gentle and casual book that reinforces the need for self-care and makes you feel like you’re doing something good to support your own needs every time you turn the page.

It’s a good blend of insight, such as regarding acceptance, and suggestions or tips, such as with a recommended breathing exercise. By structuring the book the way she has, Alice is able to provide points of reflection and points of application for the reader.

This book is like a dose of enthusiasm and hope, to be injected when we need it the most so we can look at ways of making the best of our lives, working with chronic pain to better manage it.

Find It

You can also conveniently pick up a copy on Amazon. Don’t forget, you can read Amazon’s Kindle ebooks on various devices, you don’t need an actual Kindle or other e-Reader. Just download the free Kindle app on your phone or tablet. You can also read it through your laptop/desktop.

Amazon UK (Kindle)

Amazon US (Kindle)

The A-Z of Chronic Pain book cover, which shows the title, the 'Notebooks and Glasses' text and 'chronic pain blog' at the top, and the book title underneath. The colour scheme is mainly white, coral and grey.

You can also check out the Notebooks and Glasses blog here.

A black scroll divider.

Do you live with chronic pain? Is this a book you’d be interesting in reading, or have you perhaps already checked it out?

Caz  ♥

1. April 10, 2020 / 3:56 pm

Something easy to digest that helps you understand your chronic pain. It sounds like something my dad could read without the technobabble. Perfect time to read too, while he’s inside. Thanks Caz.

• April 14, 2020 / 3:28 pm

Technobabble, good word! I agree with you there – any time is a good time for books but more so now than ever during lock-down. Thanks for the comment, Darnell. Stay safe at work.x

2. April 10, 2020 / 4:21 pm

Understanding and helpful hints is a good way to go. I’m glad this book works for you.

Have a fabulous day and weekend, my friend. Big hug. ♥

• April 14, 2020 / 3:29 pm

It’s great to be able to share the efforts of a fellow blogger, I think Alice did very well with this one. Thanks, Sandee – have a good week ahead xx

3. April 10, 2020 / 4:38 pm

Lovely review, Caz. I really enjoyed Alice’s book when I read it and also found it helpful. Like you said, it’s “a dose of enthusiasm and hope”

• April 14, 2020 / 3:31 pm

I’m glad you thought so too, Liz. It’s comfortable reading, and I loved your review of it on your own blog. Stay safe lovely 🌷 xx

4. April 10, 2020 / 7:20 pm

A great resource for those who need it!

• April 14, 2020 / 4:34 pm

Absolutely. Thanks for the comment, John. Stay safe 😊

5. April 10, 2020 / 10:21 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Caz. My husband suffers from chronic joint pain and cluster headaches. This might be something that would interest him. I found your blog through a comment you left on Anne’s The Platinum Line.

• April 14, 2020 / 4:39 pm

I’m sorry your husband suffers with joint pain and cluster headaches, both of which are utterly horrible to live with. I hope he can find some relief with medications or alternative treatments. I’m glad you found me, as that’s led me to your blog, too! Thanks for the comment – have a good week and stay safe, Christie 😊 x

6. April 11, 2020 / 12:36 am

Thanks, Caz, – from your review, this looks like a great book, as it’s injected with enthusiasm and hope, something we all need when we live with chronic pain. And who better to write it, than someone with lived experience.

• April 15, 2020 / 5:25 pm

Totally agree, enthusiasm & hope are definitely needed and personal experience is what can make a self-help style book so much more genuine and relatable. Thanks for the comment lovely xx

7. April 11, 2020 / 4:16 am

Nice review Caz, sounds like a good resource to have for those who may need. Stay well. <3

• April 15, 2020 / 5:26 pm

Thanks, Masha – I hope the week is treating you kindly so far, stay safe 🌷 xx

8. April 11, 2020 / 6:34 am

Thank you so much Caz for taking the time to read and review my ebook. You’ve praised it so much and this makes me so happy. I really hope people enjoy it and find it helpful – your review and my book! xx

• April 15, 2020 / 5:27 pm

You’re very welcome, Alice – I think you did brilliantly with the book and you should be super proud!  ♥ x

9. April 11, 2020 / 2:20 pm

This looks like a useful book. Heading to Amazon right now.

• April 15, 2020 / 5:30 pm

It’s a comforting book, I think Alice did really well drawing from personal experience to cover the alphabet of pain-related jazz! Stay safe, Kymber 🌷xx

• April 15, 2020 / 5:31 pm

It’s great to be able to support a fellow blogger so I hope you enjoy it if you do check it out. Thanks for the comment lovely. Stay safe xx

10. April 12, 2020 / 2:20 pm

Congratulations to Your friend, Alice, and Thank You for sharing this, Caz! I know a few people who might benefit from this. Sending Huge Hugs Your way! 🤗❤️😊

• April 15, 2020 / 5:36 pm

Yes absolutely, huge congrats to Alice! Thanks for the comment, Katy – I hope the week’s going well for you so far, stay safe 🌻 xx

11. April 12, 2020 / 2:38 pm

Chaplin: “Our poor brother Dennis the Vizsla could have used this book, with his severe hip dysplasia and then his osteosarcoma.”
    Charlee: “Unfortunately he didn’t have thumbs to hold it.”
    Chaplin: “But fortunately, he had Mama and Dada to do this kind of research for him and get him the things he needed to make him feel better.”

• April 16, 2020 / 8:59 am

Poor Dennis, it doesn’t seem very fair, does it? I’m glad he had Mama & Dada to help him & keep his happy tail wagging during the tough times  ♥

12. April 12, 2020 / 3:31 pm

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
    ╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
    ║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
    ║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ EASTER ☆
    ╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆ ♥♥♥

• April 16, 2020 / 9:00 am

Very cool, Sandee! I hope you had a lovely Easter weekend safe at home  ♥ xx

13. April 12, 2020 / 5:54 pm

Very interesting reading!! Happy and safe Easter

• April 16, 2020 / 9:05 am

Glad you liked it. Thanks, Leyla – hope you had a relaxing Easter at home. I see the unicorn bear is keeping safe with her mask! Stay safe lovely xx

14. April 12, 2020 / 6:18 pm

Thanks, Caz, I have struggled with reading my kindle for a while, so looking forward to reading this x

• April 16, 2020 / 9:15 am

I’m sorry you’ve not been able to get in the ‘zone’ for reading for a while. It can get like that sometimes because it takes concentration and focus. I find a really good novel, one where you love the characters and writing style, can be engaging enough to keep you reading. Hope you can get back to your Kindle soon, Rachael. Stay safe xx

15. April 13, 2020 / 2:59 pm

Sounds wonderful! I love such inspiring books which give hope and enthusiasm. Thanks for the detailed review Caz, will definitely recommend to those who need it .

• April 16, 2020 / 9:18 am

Really glad you liked the review & I think Alice did brilliantly putting this book together as an easy reading dose of comfort. Thanks for the great comment, Nisha. Stay safe and have a good rest of your week 🌷 xx

16. April 14, 2020 / 11:41 am

This sounds like a really helpful and positive book! It’s great that it provides hope and enthusiasm as well as tons of useful and supportive advice in an easy to read format. Thank you for sharing your excellent review, Caz! Hope you have a lovely week! <3 xx

Bexa

• April 16, 2020 / 9:19 am

It’s a brilliant little book to have to hand, and I’m glad you liked the review. Thanks, Bexa! I hope the week is treating you kindly, too. Stay safe xx

17. April 14, 2020 / 8:09 pm

Sounds like a great read, I’ll have to check it out. The format, as you suggested sounds pretty easy, which I like. Great, simple review. Thanks Caz!!

• April 16, 2020 / 9:24 am

The easy aspect is pretty appealing. A lot of self-help style stuff can be rather text heavy and when dealing with pain, concentration usually isn’t that good! Thanks for the comment, Stace. Stay safe 🌷 xx

18. April 15, 2020 / 9:10 am

What a perfect reference for sufferers. Well done Alice.

• April 16, 2020 / 9:25 am

Absolutely, huge well done to Alice! Thanks for the comment – hope you’re all doing okay & staying as safe as possible 🌻 xx

19. April 17, 2020 / 8:51 pm

As a chronic pain sufferer this book calls out to me.
    When I return to Florida, I will order it.
    Thanks Caz.
    xo

• April 18, 2020 / 4:03 pm

It’s great to be able to support a fellow blogger, but sad when you know how many can relate and find it calls out to them. I wish you didn’t have to experience such pain & illness, Drew. How’re you managing at the moment? I think about you often, I really hope you’re doing okay… Stay safe x

20. April 27, 2020 / 9:57 am

I love Alice’s blog and love that she has written a book! Sounds super helpful for those of us with a chronic illness 🙂 xx

• May 1, 2020 / 4:53 pm

I love her blog, too, and think it’s amazing she’s taken her experiences to put them to such great use. Thanks for the comment, Jen. I hope you’re keeping as well as possible.xx