Lovely Lemons : 3 Surprising Health Benefits

When life gives you lemons… add them to water!

This popular, brightly coloured fruit packs a punch when it comes to nutritonal value. While the sour intensity prevents many from using it as a solo ingredient, it can be added to food and drink in various ways to reap the benefits.

The Nutritional Value

Lemons are high in Vitamin C and flavonoids so they have a positive reputation for their antioxidant powers, which are beneficial for overall health and in promoting a healthy metabolism.

Lemons contain electrolytes which help hydrate the body. With the high magnesium and potassium content, they can also benefit the nervous system and in some cases studies suggest this can resultantly improve depression and anxiety symptoms a little where they arise in part from low potassium levels.

More studies need to be done on the extent of their benefits, but there’s good potential for benefit given the nutritional elements of lemons.

3 Key Benefits

1. It’s thought that lemon juice added to water can help lower blood pressure, while cleansing arteries and blood vessels. It’s also been shown to help decrease the risk of ischemic stroke.
  2. Lemons help refresh and nourish the skin to promote a clearer, brighter complexion. Vitamin C is also important for collagen formation, while topical or natural ingestion can aid skin healing from pollution and sun damage.
  3. Many praise lemons for theirย anti-inflammatory properties, making them beneficial for the likes of throat infections, joint pain and even muscle aches.

How To Use The Lemons Life Gives You

I would say this is up to individual preference, however many insist that optimal benefit is seen from adding the juice of half a squeezed lemon to warm water in the morning on an empty stomach. Whether morning, noon or night to warm or cold water, increasing Vitamin C is beneficial for the body, so go for what works for you.

Lemons are very versatile. Try the juice for lemonades or salad dressings, lemon slices in drinks or alongside roast meat, or use the peel in preserves. You can also get lemon essential oil for ease of use when out and about, or lemon-enriched teas to add a little zest to your daily cuppa.

Due to their acidic nature, dilute lemon juice with water and consider using a straw for your drinks.

How do you like your lemons?

Cazย  โ™ฅ

1. August 30, 2018 / 4:30 pm

This is such a coincidence. I started adding lemons to my water. . I find it refreshing. Makes tasteless water almost seem like a treat. Thank you for sharing this. Lemon water has become part of my gym ritual.

2. August 30, 2018 / 4:32 pm

I love lemons and use them often.

Have a fabulous day. โ™ฅ

3. August 30, 2018 / 4:34 pm

I didn’t know lemons had electrolytes. If it helps lower blood pressure, that’s a big plus. I’ll enjoy my ice water with lemon slices a little better from now on.

4. August 30, 2018 / 4:37 pm

Oh yes, I love lemons. I try to add them to water and drink them regularly, great first thing in the morning. Thank you

5. August 30, 2018 / 4:44 pm

I’m allergic to lemons, but not limes. Would it be the same result for limes?

• August 30, 2018 / 7:41 pm

Limes are fantastic, being packed with Vitamin C and having antioxidant properties, too like lemons (just without the allergic reaction you’d have). So definitely reach for the limes ๐Ÿ™‚
      Thanks for the comment! x

6. August 30, 2018 / 8:04 pm

That’s wonderful to know. Such a simple thing to do with so many benefits!

7. August 30, 2018 / 8:17 pm

I have several lemon trees at home, and I add a half lemon, juiced, to a glass of sparkling water…I drink two or more lemons a day, and I use a knife to scrape some of the pulp into the drink as well – great article!

8. August 30, 2018 / 9:03 pm

This was a truly wonderful post Caz! Thank you so much for sharing all the benefits we can get from lemons! I know we can ALWAYS count on you for amazing advice!!

9. August 30, 2018 / 9:52 pm

I always try to make sure I have lemons in the fridge. I use them a lot for cooking, and thereโ€™s nothing better in the summer than a glass of fresh-squeezed lemonade. Thanks for another great post Caz!

10. August 31, 2018 / 4:01 am

I am a lemon-holic — a neighbor now & then gives me a bunch from his tree & I am in heaven, having them 3 times a day! have learned from dentist, however, to be careful teeth wise — lately I’ve been swilling baking soda water afterwards which I hope helps

11. August 31, 2018 / 10:03 am

I love lemon juice, Caz, and use it as often as possible. We even have two lemon trees that, generally, keep us in sweet, juicy lemons year round.
    If I have lemon juice in water I always use a straw, as you suggested. I’ve had the problem of ‘sore’ teeth from not using a straw. Live and learn! ๐Ÿ™‚

12. August 31, 2018 / 10:21 am

I was aware that lemon is a great source of vitamin C so it is great for your immunity so yes it helps with a sore throat and that they are cleansing and help with complexion . I eat/drink a lot of lemons during winter, I have lemon and honey drinks, lemon slices, lemon and poppy seed muffins just to name a few. They do haev a lot of acid in them though so not so good for acid reflux but they are also supposed to be a natural remedy for motion sickness..

13. August 31, 2018 / 10:37 am

I don’t think I have ever even tried a lemon

14. August 31, 2018 / 2:02 pm

We’ve got two lemon trees growing in our yard, both too young to produce, but soon!

15. August 31, 2018 / 3:14 pm

Good to know. I like to keep citrus around and put lemons in everything – looks nice, tricks my eyes into thinking I’m having something fancier than I really am.
    My very young nephew eats them like they’re oranges. I don’t understand that AT ALL.

16. August 31, 2018 / 3:39 pm

I didn’t realise all these facts about lemons! We’re having lemon chicken for dinner tonight – if they have anti-inflammatory properties, that’s even better for me at the moment! Thanks for sharing XX

17. August 31, 2018 / 4:56 pm

I love lemon and ginger tea or homemade lemonade or lemon meringue pie. ๐Ÿ˜

18. August 31, 2018 / 8:59 pm

I love lemons and it’s great to know this information. Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

19. September 1, 2018 / 8:38 pm

Nice! I never liked lemons as a kid, but they’ve slowly grown on me. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for the informative post!

20. September 2, 2018 / 1:29 pm

Never thought of using lemons before…

21. September 3, 2018 / 3:43 pm

Thanks for this. Will try to increase my lemon intake over the Winter. Didn’t realise that they could help metabolism or that they are a source of potassium.

22. September 5, 2018 / 10:27 am

I just nominated you for Blogger Recognition Award. ๐Ÿ™‚

23. September 5, 2018 / 5:04 pm

When I have a sore throat or cold I dissolve 1tsp lemon juice, 1tsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp honey and some ground ginger in hot water. I’m not allowed medicinal decongestants but this works well.

• September 7, 2018 / 5:01 pm

That’s a good DIY recipe, thanks for sharing! x

24. September 9, 2018 / 4:57 pm

I like squeezing lemon into water and adding a slice for effect. I was told itโ€™s good for bladder stones and infections, both I suffer from. The other benefits youโ€™ve informed us about are an added bonus. It tastes fresh too!

• September 11, 2018 / 3:16 pm

Squeezed & a slice is a great idea for max taste. Do you think it’s helped when you’ve had bladder stones & infections? Definitely worth a try and it can’t hurt to have the nutrients regardless. Thanks for the comment, Gemma! ๐Ÿ™‚

25. September 11, 2018 / 4:53 pm

Thank you for sharing the information. I occasionally taste water with lemon, especially when I visit my mom. Great to learn about the nutritional value.

• September 12, 2018 / 3:35 pm

Does you mum like lemon water then? It’s certainly quite eye-opening to see the possible benefits of ‘simple’ fruits that we don’t pay much mind to otherwise, like lemons and limes ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for the comment! x