Frugal Friday [ 04/05/2018 ]

Happy Friday, everyone! It’s also the first week of May, and it’s looking like those of us in the UK may get to see a little sunshine & warmth this bank holiday weekend, which will be very much appreciated. How’s your week been going so far? After stressing myself silly over anything and everything possible lately, I’m hoping to get enough done before the weekend to be able to take some time to relax and clear my mind. Do you have any plans for the weekend? Whatever you’re up to, I hope you have a positive weekend and can find some reasons to smile.

Here are a few Frugal Friday goodies to check out =]

Free Online CBT

CBT is a fantastic therapy for many people to evaluate thoughts and emotions and can help deal with various issues, from depression and eating disorders to trauma and addiction. It’s not for everyone, but it’s worth trying. There are some great free resources online, including one I’ve just spotted this week :

Take 10 CBT is an online course in CBT that’s designed to be completed in 10 minute sessions over two weeks. There are downloadable worksheets on the website, and alternatively there’s app you can download.

This obviously doesn’t replace professional help or one-on-one cognitive behavioural therapy, but it’s an interesting freebie to try for low level support at home, at your own pace.

Superdrug Bank Holiday Deals

Superdrug have lots of bargain buys over the bank holiday weekend for those of us in the UK. It’s free delivery to store with no minimum spend, and free home delivery to those with a Superdrug loyalty card over £10.

For instance :

15% off Elf online only

Less than 1/2 price on Oral B replacement heads for electric toothbrushes and other Oral B products

Buy one Get one Half Price on various allergy products, which may come in useful for those with hay fever!

Venus razors for women at better than half price  &  Gillette men’s razors at better than half price.

The Works

Over at The Works (UK)  there are lots of offers, discounts and generally low prices on everything from gifts and stationery, to crafts and books. You can get free delivery to store.

I spotted that they have A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle (author of The Power Of Now) for only £3, which is a bargain compared to the average sale price elsewhere.

Free Learning

I’ve posted previously about broadening our horizons through learning, and mentioned how I’ve taken various free courses online. Some of these have been through Future Learn, which have lots of new courses added regularly. These are totally free to sign up to (unless you wish to purchase a certificate at the end, which I never have, I’ve just made a note of what I’ve done and added them to my CV). There are heaps of topics, from healthcare, science and psychology, to coding, technology, politics and business management.

Have a lovely weekend everyone, whatever you’re up to, whether you’re going out or getting some much needed rest.

1. May 4, 2018 / 3:25 pm

We’re relaxing this weekend and that’s a good thing. Just hanging around the house doing whatever we want. Next weekend we’ll be on a cruise with our yacht club. Need to rest up for that.

Have a fabulous day and weekend. ♥

2. May 4, 2018 / 6:47 pm

Great post Caz! Thank you so much for sharing! I have been thinking a lot about CBT oils because I have heard they are helpful! I do fear buying it because there is so many people that will sell it and it not be good at all!

• May 7, 2018 / 3:11 am

Glad you liked the post. Actually the first thing I included was about free CBT – cognitive behavioural therapy – not CBD oil. I did a post on CBD oils previously ( http://invisiblyme.com/2018/02/20/cbd-oil-have-you/ ) They certainly seem to help a lot of people but it’s probably a case of having to try it for yourself to see whether it works. I get the concern over where to buy it from though so I think it’s equally important to find a reputable provider. Thanks for the comment – hope you’ve been enjoying the rare bit of sunshine this weekend! 🙂

3. May 4, 2018 / 8:04 pm

Thanks for sharing some more great bargains Caz! I always love these Frugal Friday posts, and today’s is no exception. Once I finish my Continuing Ed so I can renew my Personal Trainer/Health Coach Cert. I’m definitely going to check out both of the online learning opportunities you listed. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

• May 7, 2018 / 3:14 am

I’m glad you liked it, Terri – I’ll definitely keep these Frugal Friday posts going every now and then 🙂
      I think that renewing your Personal Trainer / Health Coach certification is great – I had even wondered about doing something like that myself. Thanks for the comment lovely – hope you’re having a lovely weekend, too! xx

• May 8, 2018 / 12:57 am

Thanks Caz. I’ve had my certifications since 2004, and I have to recertify every two years. That ensures we stay up-to-date on the latest research and techniques for helping clients reach their goals. I may not ever use them again, but I worked so hard to get them I don’t want to let them lapse. If nothing else, the education helps me help myself.😊 Hugs to you!

• May 8, 2018 / 2:17 pm

Recertifying and ‘continual professional development’ are quite common in the UK as being required for health and mental health careers and qualifications. If I were in your position I’d want to keep them current too regardless of if I used them. As you say, you worked so hard to get them, it’s not something that can be taken away, and continual education is a wonderful thing to do for ourselves 🙂

4. May 4, 2018 / 10:46 pm

My mom was studying CBT for a while! From what she shared with me about it, it looked like it would definitely be effective therapy for my anger – but I’ve yet to deeply look into it. Haha, you’ve inspired me now! 🙂 Great post!

• May 7, 2018 / 3:06 am

That’s cool about your mum studying a bit of CBT; was that as a personal interest or professional? It’s definitely quite a popular therapy that can help a lot of people with a lot of issues (including anger!) but it’s not for everyone. Certainly worth looking in to and finding out a little more. Thanks for the comment Maggie – hope you’re having a lovely weekend 🙂

• May 6, 2018 / 5:08 pm

I try to link to US sites when I can but I obviously tend to spot things in the UK – I’ll keep trying to find more that are worldwide or US specific – everyone loves a bargain or a freebie after all! Hope you’re having a lovely weekend, Kim 🙂

5. May 5, 2018 / 6:56 am

Thank you Caz. I am hoping the weather forecast is accurate and I shall be sitting out in my garden. 🌼

• May 6, 2018 / 5:07 pm

It certainly seems spot on where I am in the UK (S.West ish, boarding W.Midlands) – have you got sunshine and warmth now too? It’s lovely and makes such a difference – I hope you’re able to spend some time out in the garden and enjoy it, Brigid 🙂

6. May 5, 2018 / 9:09 am

Thanks for the superdrug tips!. Need some more brush heads also!. And so far the sun is shinning as predicted…looks like it will be a warm long weekend in the UK!. Have a great weekend. 🙂

• May 6, 2018 / 5:04 pm

The sun is wonderful – so glad it’s made a rare appearance! Superdrug have some good buys on at the moment so hopefully you can get whatever bits you need; I had to get more toothbrush heads & razors so I thought I’d post those! I do hope you’re able to enjoy the long weekend, Tony =]

7. May 5, 2018 / 4:05 pm

these are great – thanks for sharing! the CBT sounds interesting, i’m going to check that out.

i, too, have taken a number of the free online courses. some have been very interesting and i have learned a lot!

• May 6, 2018 / 4:20 pm

I think online courses are fab, especially when they’re free – it’s quite empowering to keep learning, expanding our horizons, and being able to do it in comfort and in our own time around our health issues. Thanks for the comment Lindsay – hope you’re having a good weekend 🙂

8. May 7, 2018 / 6:49 am

Great freebies. I didn’t know there was such a thing as free CBT. Will look into that.

• May 7, 2018 / 4:19 pm

It can’t replace one-to-one CBT but it’s a good place to start and something worth trying to get a feel for what’s involved – I was quite excited when I saw it as I didn’t know it existed either, so I hope someone reading this can get some benefit from it. Hope your bank holiday is going well (rather than too manic with the boys!) =]