Hold Your Head Up High

Invisible illness and all of the problems that come with diagnosis, treatment & management, can have a terrible knock-on effect to your confidence, your self-esteem, and the trust in your feelings and abilities. Some health issues can also leave you feeling embarrassed, ashamed, guilty and worried. Embarrassed and anxious about judgement, about reprisal, about everything.

In these times it’s so important to face the feelings head on. Understand them, appreciate them, and work through them. We’re all human and there’s no shame or embarrassment in what you’re going through.

It’s important to face the world head on, too. Don’t shy away and don’t doubt yourself. You’re not giving up on yourself, not now and not ever, so hold your head up high and walk tall. You deserve to live the best life you can, chronic illness be damned. You owe no apology and no shame.

1. February 10, 2018 / 4:46 pm

In the somewhat sudden metamorphosis from being a relatively healthy person to becoming one with permanent pain and limitations, one of the hardest things for me to cope with internally has been also going from being a relatively self-assured person to one who has to continually (so far) confront and process the self-doubt and strain of functioning in a whole new territory, where the manifestations of success and purpose are not so obvious.
    I have found the most comforting reassurance i can give myself is that i am gradually becoming *ok* with my own story.

• February 10, 2018 / 5:13 pm

I think you’ve put it so well about functioning in a new territory, and how success and purpose aren’t as clear (and I think can be totally different to those you had as a ‘relatively healthy person’). I’m glad you are working on being ‘okay’ with your story – I think it’s a long, hard & gradual process, so be easy on yourself. Thank you so much for sharing this Katherine 🙂

2. February 10, 2018 / 6:39 pm

Well said. You should certainly hold your head up high, your blog is great.

• February 12, 2018 / 4:22 am

Thank you Suzanna, glad you liked the quote 🙂

3. February 10, 2018 / 9:19 pm

Suzanne is right. Reading this made my day. It is important to be reminded of this from time to time. Thanks!

• February 12, 2018 / 4:24 am

Yes, I think we all need the reminder sometimes. Thanks Viola, glad you liked it! xx

4. Gloria
    February 10, 2018 / 10:24 pm

Thank you for writing this! It is very encouraging. I have been sick for 12 years now with ME/CFS and there are so many days where you feel so lost and scared and lacking in confidence. It is good to be reminded to try to hold your head up and walk or at least “think” tall.

• February 12, 2018 / 4:26 am

I’m sorry you’ve had to feel that way and deal with ME/CFS for so many years. You’re not alone, and you certainly deserve to walk and think tall so I’m glad you found the post encouraging. Thank you for commenting, Gloria. xx

5. Samantha
    February 10, 2018 / 10:48 pm

Loved your piece on asserting ourselves and taking a ‘head on’ approach to life, ourselves and the challenges presented with lifelong illness.
    In a world that shuns away from the cold reality of illness and our morality, we are pressured to slink into the background, to take a submissive or subordinate position within society and it is wonderfully refreshing to read a ‘surge forward’ holler and reminder, we matter and undoubtedly earn our dignity and pride of place within the community, at large.

• February 12, 2018 / 4:28 am

That is so beautifully said, you’re totally right! I’m glad you found the post relatable and I think we all need a reminder sometimes to ‘surge forward’ and live our lives as fully as we can without embarrassment, shame, guilt or worry of how we may be viewed. Thank you so much for the fantastic comment! x

6. mistermuse
    February 11, 2018 / 1:13 pm

Here is a song which incorporates the title of your post perfectly:

7. mistermuse
    February 11, 2018 / 1:15 pm
    • mistermuse
      February 11, 2018 / 1:17 pm

Sorry the song clip didn’t take. It’s YOU’LL NEVER WALK ALONE sung by Roy Hamilton on YouTube.

8. February 11, 2018 / 5:34 pm

Absolutely ! 🙂

9. February 11, 2018 / 10:05 pm

Love this post! <3 I've really been trying to embrace this sort of mentality lately, so thanks for posting such a positive and encouraging reminder to do just such. 🙂 Your blog is always so uplifting. <3

• February 12, 2018 / 4:32 am

I think it can be hard to embrace the mindset, but regular reminders can really help. You’ve got this – you can do it! 🙂 I’m glad you liked the post – thank you for your lovely comment!

10. February 12, 2018 / 2:50 am

bravo!

11. February 16, 2018 / 5:19 pm

It’s amazing how people can go from really healthy to really sick in a matter of moments. Perhaps knowing you have a disease can change your mindset and physical demeanor.