The Christmas Tag – Grinchy or Merry?

The lovely Maggie nominated me for this and in the spirit of Christmas I thought I’d give it a go. Be prepared – boring answers are inevitable as my inner Grinch is wrestling with my chest infection and ill health vs my want to enjoy Xmas!

The Christmas Tag

• What’s your favorite thing about Christmas?

There are a lot of potential negatives with Christmas; expectations, money worries, depression, loneliness, arguments, etc. However, there are positives even in the dark times, so if I can find them then hopefully anyone else feeling the Grinch creep in can too.  Pretty lights, a more relaxed atmosphere at times, seeing smiles from those I’ve bought thoughtful (even if not amazing) gifts for, drinking being socially acceptable at any time of the day (10am Christmas morning whiskey, anyone?), sharing love and compassion, and it’s a good excuse to get in touch with people you may not have been in contact with for a while, even if just for a quick social media message.

• What’s your favorite Christmas memory?

Perhaps when we had a fondue – everyone overdosed on cheese and had a cheese hangover into Boxing Day. Cheese was off the menu for quite some time after that day.

• Are there special traditions your family has for Christmas?

Depends on what you mean by traditions. I badger everyone – my folks and my 39-yr old brother – to get up early so we can open presents before the turkey goes in the oven. I’ll have the first drink after my morning cuppa and arguments usually ensue by 10.30. Where the day goes from there is currently uncertain this year!

• What’s your Christmas wish? (Can be personal or general)

I think that good health for everyone is too far in the wishful thinking column, but that really would be ideal. The next unrealistic wish is to get a golden retriever, who I have already named, you know, just in case. A semi-realistic wish? Perhaps that the government in the UK are able to revamp their approach to the NHS in order to rebuild and strengthen our strained healthcare system.

• What’s your favorite Christmas dish?

The Christmas day roast tops the list – Turkey, mashed potato, peas/carrots/broccoli, roasties, croquettes, and whiskey (the latter to drink, not used as gravy, though I wouldn’t say no to giving that a try).

Dessert is some kind of caramel cheesecake. Nom nom 🙂

• What’s your favorite Christmas decoration?

I actually have this little teddy in a red chair that I was given as a child. Despite him being over 25 years old and suffering a dislocated hip, I love him very much and always have him where I can see him at Christmas.

• What’s your favorite Christmas song?

There aren’t many I can listen to without wanting to fork my eyes out, but for some reason I do find Mariah Carey’s All I Want For Christmas quite listen-able.

• Where do you usually celebrate Christmas?

There’s no place like home… Though if I had tickets to a warmer climate I’d certainly go there to celebrate Christmas instead!

• What does the ‘Christmas Spirit’ mean to you?

I’m not religious and I don’t believe in God, so Christmas for me is a purely social convention with personal meaning from childhood attached. I would say the spirit of Christmas is about compassion, giving and considering those less well off or struggling; it’s about compassion, and the appreciation for what you have and those you love.

• Who out of anybody in the world would you want to spend your Christmas with?

My much wished-after golden retriever, Finn. Forget crazy cat lady, I’m going to end up being a crazy invisible dog lady!

If you would like to do this tag, please feel free as I’d love to hear your answers! 🙂

1. December 18, 2017 / 6:08 pm

I love your teddy bear. He is perfect :):) I hope you get Finn 🙂 Sounds like your holiday festivities are a blast. I love cheese and would have loved to have been apart of the cheese coma hahaha.

• InvisiblyMe
      Author
      December 19, 2017 / 5:50 am

Maybe you should invest in a cheese fondue, plenty of cheese & some crusty bread! But I warn you – you’ll never look at cheese the same way again afterwards! Hahah 🙂

• December 19, 2017 / 5:39 pm

HAHAHAHAHA I have learned to not eat too much. I use to eat blocks and blocks of it. My Granny would say, your going to regret it, if you eat too much. She was always right 😉

• InvisiblyMe
      Author
      December 19, 2017 / 5:46 am

Glad you liked the tag! 🙂

2. December 18, 2017 / 8:38 pm

Love this Caz, it is nice to read about other people’s Christmas’s . I’d love to include it on my blog if you don’t mind but I don’t know how!

• InvisiblyMe
      Author
      December 19, 2017 / 5:45 am

That, my friend, is a good technological question! I don’t know how either as there’s no reblog button on my posts. If you wanted to share it (which is lovely of you to want to do!) I think you’d just have to copy/paste the link into a post. x

• InvisiblyMe
      Author
      December 19, 2017 / 5:42 am

I think he’d get on like a house on fire with Dizzy! x

3. December 18, 2017 / 10:15 pm

Lovely post Caz! Have shared this link on PainPals reg feature Monday Magic – this week Inspiring Christmas Blogs for You. Claire x

• InvisiblyMe
      Author
      December 19, 2017 / 5:41 am

I’ve just read your post and spotted it – Thank you, that’s very kind of you Claire! 🙂

4. December 18, 2017 / 11:37 pm

I love it that you’ve already named Finn Caz! Your little bear is adorable. It’s so nice that you’ve had him since you were a child.?

• InvisiblyMe
      Author
      December 19, 2017 / 5:40 am

Yes, I’m so glad I kept him – I couldn’t ‘bear’ to give him away!
      🙂

• InvisiblyMe
      Author
      December 20, 2017 / 7:56 am

Thank you so much! 🙂

5. joraffe
    December 19, 2017 / 9:06 pm

Your answers aren’t boring at all! I am envious of your teddy!!

• InvisiblyMe
      Author
      December 20, 2017 / 7:57 am

That’s kind of you to say. Aw, yeh I like the little guy – he’s hanging in there despite his dodgy hip. xx

• InvisiblyMe
      Author
      December 20, 2017 / 3:40 pm

That’s very kind of you – thank you! =]

6. December 20, 2017 / 2:02 pm

I agree Christmas is what being at home is all about but it would be interesting to see how Christmas is spent in a hot country

• InvisiblyMe
      Author
      December 20, 2017 / 3:38 pm

You’re right, it would be interesting… It’s actually quite hard to imagine it in a hot country now, without the central heating & fire at home, lots of layers, snuggly slippers, the need for warming food etc. x

• December 20, 2017 / 4:30 pm

yeah exactly, especially as we don’t tend to have roasts dinner in the heat cus its too hot so what do they eat ?!

7. Natalie | Surviving life's hurdles
    December 20, 2017 / 2:07 pm

Aw, your Christmas Ted is so cute! Good luck getting your Golden Retriever, my best friend was an invisible dog lady for years but finally got her very own real life dog a couple of years ago and she absolutely loves it, I honestly don’t know how she went for so long without getting one it’s so much of who she is! Hoping you have a lovely Christmas, enjoy your whisky! xx

• InvisiblyMe
      Author
      December 20, 2017 / 3:47 pm

Aw, that’s lovely to hear – I bet she was over the moon when she got her dog & now couldn’t imagine life without it. That gives me a little hope!
      Thanks Nat – I hope you are coping okay in the run-up to Xmas… Not long left to go now, but hopefully you’re enjoying some craftiness and getting plenty of rest in between. Have a wonderful Christmas 🙂 xx

8. December 22, 2017 / 4:17 am

I’m not familiar with Boxing Day. You have me curious.
    Your poor little teddy sure is cute. He’s lucky to have you.
    loved reading your answers