Going For The Chop!

There’s something really refreshing about getting a haircut. I grew mine out quite long and part of me loved long hair because I liked feeling hidden by it and, I guess, it also made me feel more feminine. I knew that longer hair would also balance out my face a little because I’ve always felt it to be a fat, round face and that I can’t pull off a shorter haircut as a result. Stupid.

Having health problems and then a stoma can really affect your confidence and how you see yourself, but I didn’t want to keep thinking about what other people were thinking either. I was fed up with long hair and wanted a change. It had thinned a lot over the years too, especially on the top even though you probably can’t tell so much in the photographs, and that was making me more self-conscious. It also signifies a change for many people when they get their hair cut, in one of those “new me” kind of ways. For me, it was partly to help the health of my hair and stop it from being so weighed down, and partly to draw a line under some of the negativity from the past couple of years since my first op and to start taking care of myself again. I haven’t dyed it in a few years either, hence the 50 shades of ginger it naturally seems to be turning now. I’ll save that for next week.

I do think that there’s too much attached to hair and how we see ourselves, but there’s no denying it’s important for many of us in terms of self-esteem and image. I’m caring a little less now and happy for it!

Does getting a trim or a hairstyle change give you a little mood lift too?

Long locks hide the deceptively thin hair.

Refreshed & so much lighter!

1. May 16, 2017 / 10:13 pm

It looks beautiful and so much healthier and really suits you. I am having a haircut today too. <3

May 17, 2017 / 12:48 am

Thank you! ♥ I hope your haircut leaves you feeling refreshed too 🙂

2. May 17, 2017 / 1:13 am

I like the cut you got! It’s so refreshing getting it chopped off after keeping it long for so long. Not to mention how much less shampoo/conditioner you have to use! lol

May 17, 2017 / 9:51 am

Thanks! Yes, it’ll definitely help save on the hair products..!

3. May 17, 2017 / 3:10 am

I LOVE IT! It looks great, very fresh and lucious!

May 17, 2017 / 9:50 am

Aw thank you! 🙂

4. May 17, 2017 / 7:22 am

Agree on the part where it’s tied to a woman’s self-esteem, somehow! I kind of see it as a form of natural beauty, a gift of vitality. I do get traumatised when I lose a lot of hair from meds or illness. Love your new cut! x

May 17, 2017 / 9:46 am

Yes you’re right, it does seem like a result of/expression of natural beauty and vitality. Thank you! x

5. Natalie | Surviving life's hurdles
    May 17, 2017 / 11:31 am

I usually prefer long hair but your new cut really suits you! I was determined to keep my hair long when I had my son as I didn’t want a ‘mum cut’! x

6. May 17, 2017 / 11:32 am

It sure does give us a lift. Lopping off the locks can allow the inner beauty to shine forth even more.

7. May 17, 2017 / 12:21 pm

You are so beautiful! Love the hair. I had long hair for so many years and now I won’t grow it longer than a pixie. It is so freeing. Love the new look of your blog as well!

May 17, 2017 / 2:05 pm

Your hair really suits you, I can’t imagine you with longer hair. Thank you for the lovely comments! 🙂

8. May 17, 2017 / 5:34 pm

Your hair looks cute! I have chopped my hair really short only twice and it was usually after I had a baby. I think I needed a change! It does make a difference for me. You have gorgeous hair long or short!

May 17, 2017 / 7:52 pm

I can definitely understand the ‘needing a change’ feeling. Is your hair naturally curly or do you curl yours? It looks so natural & healthy! Thank you for the lovely comment 🙂

• May 18, 2017 / 12:51 am

My hair is in between curly and straight, so wavy I guess. It has thinned as I’ve gotten older. I don’t die my hair because I’m afraid it’ll all fall out!

9. katykicker
    May 18, 2017 / 10:53 am

Your hair looks lovely and it really suits you! Gorgeous x

May 18, 2017 / 5:14 pm

Thank you Katy! x

10. May 18, 2017 / 12:07 pm

I know how hard it can be to take the chop, but you hair turned out gorgeous! xx.

May 18, 2017 / 5:17 pm

Part of me wants long hair back already because I’m more comfortable with it, but I’m glad to have a little refresh and something different. Thank you! x

• May 18, 2017 / 7:51 pm

It’ll always grow back! Give it time and lots of coconut oil hair masks haha xx.

11. May 18, 2017 / 4:59 pm

I love it dear, it looks so chic and nice. This is my favorite hairstyle ever. xx

May 18, 2017 / 5:15 pm

I really wasn’t sure what it would turn out like because my hair isn’t really thick or strong enough for a ‘choppy’ or grungy look. Chic sounds so much better anyway. Thanks! 🙂

May 22, 2017 / 5:36 pm

Aw, that’s very kind of you to say! I’d disagree on the beautiful part, but I’m trying to learn to accept compliments so thank you 🙂

12. May 23, 2017 / 6:44 pm

Lovely haircut, you suit it a lot. Wish I was that brave, I just can’t seem to let go of my long hair. and resorted to DIY haircuts…..bad idea……..incase your wondering why, its a crazy cat lady thing!

13. May 24, 2017 / 6:14 pm

Love the cut! It looks great on you! I cut mine very short when it started to thin when I started oral chemo. Now that I’m done with the meds my hair is starting to thicken up again. I’m really ready for it to be long enough and full enough to get a haircut.

May 25, 2017 / 6:30 am

I can only imagine how difficult that must have been with your hair thinning as well as everything else you had to go through for the oral chemo. It’s good to hear that your hair is getting a little thicker and healthier now, so I’m sure you’ll be booking in for a haircut in no time! Thanks for the comment 🙂

14. May 25, 2017 / 9:49 pm

It looks great 🙂

May 26, 2017 / 6:42 am

Aw thank you! 🙂

15. June 14, 2017 / 7:19 pm

Yes, you’re right! I love haircuts and actually recently cut mine last year. I felt a HUGE burden lifted once I did it.

June 14, 2017 / 9:15 pm

I’m glad you found the same with getting your hair cut too, it’s definitely refreshing and quite therapeutic. Thanks for the comment 🙂

16. July 31, 2017 / 7:49 pm

Love the cut, it really suits you ?. I used to have really long hair and I went for the chop last year, but it took me 5 years to do it! I was so worried that it wouldn’t look nice on me but I’m so happy I did it!?

August 1, 2017 / 12:16 pm

I’m glad you did, your hair looks gorgeous and it can be liberating to have it all chopped off and go for something fresh and different. Thanks for the comment – I’m glad you stopped by so I could check out your blog and start following 🙂

• August 1, 2017 / 7:29 pm

Thank you ? Sometimes having a change can be the best thing for you even if it’s a hair cut! ?

17. August 4, 2017 / 4:32 pm

Your new look really suits you! As a 60-year old bloke I have to make sure I keep my hair trimmed so it doesn’t look as though I’m trying to hide a receding hairline! Bizarrely it’s only a few years ago that I realised i no longer needed to say “out of my eyes” – it would take a long time to grow near them now!!!

August 5, 2017 / 4:05 am

Thank you! That made me chuckle, I think my father would agree with you there; he often wonders now, at 69, who “stole” his hair.